I’m wondering whether to create a Tumblr theme. Thing is, I’m already pushed for time. Do I really have the spare hours in the week to create a beautiful Tumblr theme for my own blog when I have so much UI development to do on GoSquared? Might be nice to show off on my Dribbble profile though.
I’ll think about it.
The Tumblr Backup app is ready for its first beta testing.
- Download (Mac OS X, requires 10.5 or higher)
Unlike other publishing sites’ approach to backups, our goal was to create a useful copy of your blog’s content that can be viewed on any computer, burned to a CD, or hosted as an archive of static HTML files.
Wherever possible, we use simple file formats. Our backup structure is optimized for Mac OS X’s Spotlight for searching and Quick Look for browsing, and we’ll try to use the same structure and achieve the same benefits on other platforms.
- Sorry, there’s no Windows version yet.
- The output is minimally styled in a plain theme to ensure complete backups, zero external requirements, and a consistent data structure. Custom theme code is included in the backup as a separate file.
- To view the backup in a browser, open the
- Photosets are not yet fully downloaded. (Next version.)
- The following are not backed up:
- Private tumblelogs
- Feed-imported posts
- Audio files from reblogged posts
- You can launch the app every few days and re-run the backup in the same place, and it effectively performs an incremental media backup: image and audio files are only re-downloaded if they don’t already exist in the target folder. Text content and post data are re-downloaded in full every time.
- If you have private posts, be careful if you make the backup publicly available. Private posts are included in a
privatefolder, and their images or audio files are included in the standard
- Are you a programmer? Each post’s XML data, as specified by our API, is embedded inside an easily-parsed-out HTML comment in each post’s HTML file, in case you want to do anything cool with it.
To report bugs, email me. Thanks.
Welcome to Me
I’ve been writing about all things design, Apple, and business related on the weblog at GoSquared (called Liquidicity) for years but it’s getting to the point where we’re keeping Liquidicity for strictly GoSquared-related matters.
So I’ve taken the bold step of setting up a Tumblr account (which was one of the most wonderful sign-up experiences ever) and will be posting various tidbits that interest me here. With a bit of luck some of you people might be able to spend some of your precious time to read and/or look at things I post here.
I’m also the one who maintains the GoSquared Twitter account so you can find my meaningless musings in three wonderful places:
@gosquared on Twitter
and now Tumblr
Now, back to working on LiveStats…